Frequently Asked Questions
The AT Navigation Program
What is the AT Navigation Program?
AT Navigation Program connects AT users to personalised peer support aimed at enhancing their AT decisions. An AT Navigator can help you make sense of assistive technology and all the possible AT solutions. AT Navigators can also assist you through the process of selecting suppliers, health professionals and working with your funding body.
Who is an AT Navigator?An AT Navigator is a person with disability who is an expert AT user. All AT Chat’s AT Navigators have completed significant online and face-to-face training and receive supervision with the AT Chat Occupational Therapist.
Who is the AT Navigator Program for?
- People new to assistive technology and want to know more information.
- Individuals needing a new piece of equipment and want to know what options are available.
- A person experiencing problems with tasks in everyday life and would like to know what may assist to make those tasks easier.
- An individual whose AT needs have changed recently.
- A person would like to explore AT options before speaking with an allied health professional or their NDIS Planner.
How can an AT Navigator assist you?
- Support you to establish your assistive technology needs and goals.
- Explore and research AT solutions that may meet your needs.
- Provide you with information on various AT solutions so that you can make informed decisions on what suits your needs.
- Assist you to identify when you may need the assistance of an allied health professional.
- Provide you with information to enable you to talk more effectively with the allied health professionals working with you.
- Provide set up and/or training to build up your skills and knowledge with AT solutions.
What is an AT Solution Guide?
An AT Solution Guide is a document that captures your personal AT journey and helps you identify your AT goal. The Solution Guide includes a comparison feature table of possible AT options, funding information, key contacts and your AT Team, resources and information and potential next steps to secure your AT.
Why has AT Chat created the AT Navigator Program?
In 2018 our community told us they wanted to access peer support when making an AT decision. This led to the creation of Chatterbox, and the AT Navigator Program.
The overarching aims of AT Chat and the AT Navigation Program are that people with disability:
- Are connected and have the information they need to make AT decisions and choices.
- Have increased access to high quality, accessible, relevant and peer-led AT information.
- Actively contribute to leading, shaping and influencing their community.
How can I access the AT Navigation Program?
AT Chat will launch the AT Navigation program in early 2021.
How can I become an AT Navigator?
AT Chat has commenced development of its e-learning package for expert AT users wanting to become AT Navigators.
Express your interest in accessing AT Chat’s e-learning modules and train to become an AT Navigator.